Finding Your ACE Score
We have been asked to implement the ACE questionnaire at intake to be used as a data collection tool. ACE stands for Adverse Childhood Experiences. Studies have shown that 70% of the general population have experienced at least one of the ten events addressed in this survey. Nationwide efforts are being made to become more “trauma informed” and develop systems of care that address resulting needs. FDS is joining this movement to increase our quality of services. We realize that the questions in this survey are sensitive in nature and want to assure you that your score is confidential. This is an optional questionnaire....if you choose to answer the 10 questions… I ask that you score your questionnaire and include the score below. Thank you for partnering with us in this effort to meet the needs of our families.
While you were growing up, during your first 18 years of life:
1. Did a parent or other adult in the household often or very often… Swear at you, insult you, put you down, or humiliate you? Or act in a way that made you afraid that you might be physically hurt?
2. Did a parent or other adult in the household often or very often… Push, grab, slap, or throw something at you? Or ever hit you so hard that you had marks or were injured?
3. Did an adult or person at least 5 years older than you ever… Touch or fondle you or have you touch their body in a sexual way? Or attempt or actually have oral, anal, or vaginal intercourse with you?
4. Did you often or very often feel that … No one in your family loved you or thought you were important or special? Or your family didn’t look out for each other, feel close to each other, or support each other?
5. Did you often or very often feel that … You didn’t have enough to eat, had to wear dirty clothes, and had no one to protect you? Or your parents were too drunk or high to take care of you or take you to the doctor if you needed it?
6. Were your parents ever separated or divorced?
7. Was your mother or stepmother: Often or very often pushed, grabbed, slapped, or had something thrown at her? Or smetimes, often, or very often kicked, bitten, hit with a fist, or hit with something hard? Or ever repeatedly hit at least a few minutes or threatened with a gun or knife?
8. Did you live with anyone who was a problem drinker or alcoholic or who used street drugs?
9. Was a household member depressed or mentally ill, or did a household member attempt suicide?
10. Did a household member go to prison?
This is your ACE Score.